Despite the fact that it’s early this year, February Half term is still a much needed break in the day to day slog of these wintry months, not only for the kids but for parents too (if you manage to take some time off). Getting through January is an achievement in itself, so go on, take some of these ideas for a spin and reward yourself and the kids with some hard-earned fun!
Enjoy the great outdoors…
- Head out to the British Wildlife Centre in Surrey and see what wildlife you can spot as we come into the Spring months. Enjoy up to 43% off here.
- Did you know that right next to the beautiful Ashdown Forest in Sussex sits a 33 acre Llama Park? Families can enjoy nature trails, llama walks (yes really!) and animal feeding, among play areas and other animals too. Enjoy up to 67% off entry tickets here.
- Head to Hyde Park on Wednesday 14th Feb – Thursday 15th Feb from 11am-3pm for their free Discover Day – Brilliant Birds, where you can make a bird feeder and take part in other activities all in honour of our winged friends.
- Take any budding vets to ZSL London Zoo for their week of Vets in Action, which celebrates the work of the zoo’s brilliant veterinary team, teaching kids about their roles and allowing them to take part in role-play activities.
- See beautiful orchids at Kew Gardens from the 10th February with their Orchid Festival. Enjoy up to 29% off entry here.
What’s on at the theatre…
- Let’s All Dance are back with their beautiful ballet The Princess & the Frog which has been created specifically for children. Enjoy up to 47% off here.
- Head to the V&A for free pop-up performances this half-term which are celebrating the museum’s Winnie-the-Pooh exhibition.
- Go to the Unicorn Theatre to see the enchanting ‘Seesaw’ (for ages 3-6). For older ones, try their child-friendly performance of Othello – is a great way to introduce kids (aged 8+) to Shakespeare.
- Get involved in rap, poetry and improv mayhem at the Royal Albert Hall’s Tongue Fu for Kids on Thursday 15th February.
- See Annie at the Piccadilly Theatre before it leaves the West End on Sunday 18th February, plus get 61% off currently!
See London from a different perspective…
- For those aged 12+, test your nerve at The View from the Shard with their new VR experience. Enjoy up to 40% off here.
- Whizz down London’s highest and longest tunnel slide in Stratford, The Slide.
- Scale the iconic O2 with the Up at The O2 experience which takes you on a guided expedition up a specially made walkway 52m in the air, Enjoy an exclusive 10% off here.
- See the city at speed from the Thames on the ThamesJet experience. Kids Go Half Price here.
Get out of town…
- Stay overnight at Gulliver’s Land in Milton Keynes. You’ve got the choice of a stay in a Safari Glamping tent or a Dino Den! Save up to 37% off here.
- Head out to Hertfordshire for a driving experience with Drift Limits, where anyone aged 6+ can ride shotgun in a racing car and those aged 11+ can even have a go behind the wheel!
- Be dazzled by Circus Zyair at Hop Farm in Kent.
Museums and educational fun…
- Head to Westminster Abbey on Friday 16th February for their Commonwealth Family Day which will feature music and dance from different cultures, as well as art workshops, stories and more. Plus kids eat free with every main meal at the cafe there. Save up to 55% off here.
- Go for a swing on the Tate Modern’s latest installation, the Hyundai Commission: Superflex swings. Each swing has been designed for three people, giving you extra oompf (if you can co-ordinate your swing well enough!)
- Check out the Horniman Museum’s award-winning family exhibition, Colour: The Rainbow Revealed, which is there until October and features plenty of interactive fun for children.
- Head to the Royal Observatory for plenty of half term family fun including their Out of this World: Moon event on the 12th & 13th February, which involves a planetarium show, interactive quiz and a virtual reality activity
- Sow seeds with the Museum of London’s Salad Cities drop-in workshop and watch them sprout at home. Plus check out the new and gruesome Fatberg – if you dare!
- Visit the National Army Museum and join in their free navigation challenge where you will create your own map. Your imagination is the limit!
Other Free Things…
- Explore the Imagine Children’s Festival at the Southbank Centre – mixture of free and ticketed events that guarantees something for everyone
- London Children’s Book Swap – Saturday 10th Feb 1-4:30pm at the Discover Children’s Story Centre in Stratford. Check out their Facebook page to find out which other partners and venues are taking part across London.
- Visit the beautiful Barbican Conservatory on a Sunday (seleted dates) and its array of plant species.
- Check out what’s going on behind the scenes at the Backstage High Level Walkway at the National Theatre
- Film and TB enthusiasts should head to the BFI Southbank Mediatheque. Note kids eat free at the Riverfront Restaurant!
- Head to Deptford for Smashfest’s free FLOOD! Festival for plenty of educational STEAM fun
Chinese New Year:
Beginning on Friday 16th Feb, it’s the Year of the Dog and London is set to burst with Chinese New Year celebrations…
- Head to the V&A Museum of Childhood, Bethnal Green on Saturday 10th Feb for a family drop-in activity day, full of creative crafts, martial arts and music.
- Spot the Grand Parade through Central London on Sunday 18th February and go to Trafalgar Square at 6pm for a spectacular firework display
- Visit Leicester Square for family activities and street performances. There’s even the chance to try on traditional Chinese outfits
- Go to Shaftesbury Avenue on the Sunday (18th Feb) to see an array of martial arts displays
- Join Royal Museums Greenwich aboard the Cutty Sark for their Zodiac Zoo arts and craft workshop
- Visit the British Library on Tuesday 13th February for their Chinese Tales and Ribbon Dance workshop with artist and performer Jih Wen Yeh
Find more fun ideas and savings for things to do in our February Half Term category and filter by age, price or date on LittleBird.