May Half Term – so close to the summer holidays, yet so far! We’ve put together some of our top affordable days out for families for this short but sweet week of school freedom!
There are some wonderful events taking place this May, including the Digital Kids Show in Battersea and Dalston Children’s Festival, plus we’ve got some alternative ideas, including a zipwire through central London!
Don’t forget to tag us and add the hashtag #littlebirddaysout so other LittleBird families can get ideas too!
- Experience nature at it’s purest at New Forest Wildlife Park, walk through gorgeous natural woodland trails, and meet amazing animals. Kids go Free for LittleBird Family Pass members.
- Enjoy fun activities at Kew Gardens this May Half Term. Kids go FREE to Kew Gardens for LittleBird Family Pass members.
- Caring for over 10,000 animals every year, be sure to visit Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital, with Hedgehog talks, Red Kite flights, Arts and Crafts and more! Just £11 for a family ticket – bargain!
- Battersea Park Zoo are taking part in the Love your Zoo week! Each morning there will be animal themed arts and crafts and stories. Kids go Free to Battersea Park Zoo for LittleBird Family Pass members.
- Visiting the MOL? Be sure to check out the free hidden gem that is the Barbican Conservatory.
- Head down to Cornwall for a stay in a cosy cottage at Polean Farm and unwind in the wilderness…with daily animal feeds, outdoor playground, tractor rides and more. Save 15% on stays here.
- Visit one of London’s city farms and see how fast the Spring babies are growing. For our top recommendations, see here.
Festivals. Festivals. Festivals.
- Digital Kids Show comes to London this May Half Term! Jam packed with gaming, YouTubers, live shows and more! Save up to 60% on tickets here.
- Wychwood Festival (31st May – 2nd Jun) returns for its 15th edition and with an eclectic line up including The Stranglers, Mr B The Gentleman Rhymer, Craig Charles Funk & Soul, Scouting For Girls and many more! Weekend tickets from £35 for Adults and From £10.50 for kids. Save 25% on tickets with LittleBird. Book here!
- Showcasing London’s amazing talents in music, food and art, Jam on Rye in Peckham Rye Park is back this year and with a bang! Up to 3 kids go free with a paying Adult! Book your tickets here for Monday 27th May.
- Get involved in the myriad of activities taking place across Dalston for the Dalston Children’s Festival on Saturday 25th May and 1st June. From picnics, to crafts, to caricatures, to theatre and music! Most events are drop-in but some require you to book a place.
- The Chelsea Fringe Festival finishes on 26th May but there’s plenty of free things to see before then. Check out The Matisse-Inspired Bottle Garden, Thrive Selfie Trail in Battersea, a Garden Party in Westbourne Grove, Belgravia in Bloom and more here.
- From Jurassic Park to Back to the Future, take the kids on a musical adventure at the Royal Albert Hall in My Great Orchestral Adventure on Tuesday 28th May, there will be singing, dancing and best of all, a full symphony orchestra to bring the adventure to life, enjoy an exclusive saving with us here.
- If your kids love ballet, then they’ll love the brand new ballet from Let’s All Dance at Leicester Square Theatre. Based on the the classic tale of The Ugly Duckling, save 35% on your tickets with us here.
- A fresh fun-filled look at six of William Shakespeare’s greatest plays, see Shakespearience at the Underbelly Festival this May. With tons of audience interaction, more than a dash of mayhem and a star turn from one lucky adult (shhhhh don’t tell!) Tickets from £12
- Britain’s family favourite, Russell’s International Circus features an array of amazing displays, high wire acrobatics, dance and aerial stunts. From just £5pp, In Great Yarmouth this May Half Term. save up to 69% here.
- For hair-raising stunts and show-stopping acts, look no further than Circus Extreme this May in Brighton! Tickets are at £13 per person and can be purchased here.
Museums and educational fun…
- Head to the British Museum this Half Term, as the largest exhibition dedicated to Manga (outside Japan) starts on the 23rd May! Under 16s are free when accompanied by a paying Adult. The exhibition runs until August.
- Celebrate all things locomotive this Half Term at the London Museum of Water and Steam. Discover the Waterworks Railway, the big wooden train set in the Babcock Room available for all to play with and model 16mm steam-powered trains on display. Plus make sure to visit the Splash Zone for plenty of outdoor watery fun. From just £4 on LittleBird.
- The Postal Museum has plenty of half term activities lined up in celebration of the 200th birthday of Queen Victoria — make a hand puppet, master Victorian calligraphy , see the face of the first ever postage stamp, the Penny Black or create a Top Hat. Book your visit here. Or visit on the 24th May, where the first 200 people through the door will enter for just 1 penny!
- Get hands on at the Royal Institution in their Family Fun Day: all about elements! Drop in anytime between 11am – 4pm on Saturday 1st June! From £10
- Head to the Discover Centre for Elmer’s Walk, an interactive storytelling experience based on David McKee’s much loved book, plus reading events with authors of awesome children’s books such as Hotel Flamingo, Maisie’s Scrapbook and The Great Big Green Book.
- Meet the animals that shaped London’s history with the Museum of London’s Beasts of London immersive tour! Experience iconic moments including the arrival of the Romans and The Plague.
Out and About in London
- Enjoy exclusive early access to The View from the Shard on Saturday 25th May, packed with fun activities, unlimited hot drinks and treats! Enjoy up to 40% off here.
- Ever wondered what it’s like to zipwire through central London? Well now you can find out with Zip Now and for up to 25% off here.
- Ever visited KidZania? The mini city made for kids! This May, KidZania is celebrating Maths – they’ll be teaching you how to earn, spend and save money, how to set up a bank account as well as how to deposit! Plus join them at the KidZania University for a special Geometry Degree. Book with us and the Kids go Half Price!
- Tom Gates fan? Don’t miss Liz Pichon at Waterstone’s in Westfield London (Wed 29th May) who will be signing copies of her brand new book Tom Gates: Mega Make and Do!
- Consider investing in a Merlin’s Magical London ticket to save and get tickets for Shrek’s Adventure, Madame Tussaud’s, SEALIFE, The Longon Dungeon and The London Eye. This 5in1 ticket is valid for 90 days from when you visit the first attraction, Shrek’s Adventure, meaning you could do all 5 in one day if you wanted to!
- Have a full-filled afternoon of storytelling, live drawing and activities at Foyles on Charing Cross Road with author and illustrator Sophy Henn.
- Discover London’s Talking Statues. This innovative and unique idea brings some of London’s most iconic statues to life at the swipe of your phone.
Get out of town…
- Jam-packed full of fun for kids of all ages Butlins is the perfect place for a fantastic family day out this May Half Term. Discover sub-tropical waters in the newly-opened pool, soft play, live daytime entertainment, Helter Skelter, Chair-O-Plane, and Carousel rides plus so much more. Currently 40% off here.
- A LittleBird family favourite, enjoy a 3 or 4-night Half Board family break to the stunning Hayling Island in Hampshire with Away Resorts, packed with entertainment, activities, breakfast and dinner included and amazing facilities! Book from as little as £187 here.
- Head to Windsor Racecourse this May Half Term, There’s 7 exciting races for the adults to enjoy, bouncy castles, plus a host of entertainment including face painting and FREE Funfair and so much more, book tickets and save!
- The Eden Project is an amazing place if you’ve never been before! Head to Eden in Cornwall and explore the largest indoor rainforest in the world. Plus don’t miss their very exciting May Half Term programme as the wonderful Dick and Dom take up residency at Eden for the week!
- Enjoy a LEGOLAND® Holiday from as little as £99 for the whole family! Have a LEGO® fuelled fun day and then stay in a delightful trusted family hotel including a delicious breakfast!
- Enjoy the great outdoors with a touch of luxury with a fabulous glamping break with Browning Brothers in Colchester, from as little as £79 for 3 nights. Book here, and save up to 40%.
- Get ready for an animal adventure of epic proportions at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo and overnight stay at the 4* Aubrey Park Hotel, save 25% here
- Delve deep into the Somerset earth and be fascinated by Wookey Hole‘s amazing collection of caves and tunnels for a unique day out, Save 20% on entry tickets with the LittleBird Family Pass.
Family Tickets for under £20
- Enjoy indoor soft play at Gambado this 2019 in Chelsea, Watford or Beckenham! The whole family can enjoy for as little as £14.95
- Ooh and ahh over the large collection of birds of prey at Liberty’s Owl, Raptor and Reptile Centre. With both indoor and outdoor flying displays, so there’s family fun whatever the weather. Just £20 for a family. Book your tickets with us.
- Discover gravity-defying fun at Atmosphere Trampoline Park in Basingstoke. With over 80 trampolines Half Pipe, Parkour and more. Just £4.50 per person!
- Set in 33 beautiful acres, the Llama Park is yours to explore! Home to llama, alpaca, reindeer, donkeys, sheep pigs, peafowl and poultry as well as a children’s playground with bouncy castle and more! From just £12 with us for a family
- With a 60m lagoon, 8m waterfall and of course the legendary whale, Moby Dick – have a whale of a time at the UK’s largest Adventure Golf Course, Moby Golf! Just £18 for a family, and is valid for 4 months from purchase!
- A fun-packed Adventure Golf course in Hendon, Captain’s Bay Golf course is a challenging but enjoyable course for all ages. Just £12 for a family.
- The oldest aviation museum in the UK, The de Havilland Aircraft Museum has an impressive collection of planes including some made before WW2! Take the family for just £18 on LittleBird.
For more May Half Term ideas and savings, check out our category on LittleBird…