May Half Term is nearly here and the weather is finally cooperating, so here are some of the amazing things you can get out and do with kids and teens for those 9 days of school’s out fun…
If you just can’t bear the idea of sitting still this holiday then get out there and try something new!
- Conquer the Bounce Aloud’s huge indoor inflatable fun park and meet Captain Fantastic and the Wonder Crew.
- Discover your new sporting passion at GoFest who knows you could discover an Olympic talent
- Sail the Seven Seas to Groombridge Place and meet the naughty pirates and mystical mermaids of Groombridge lakes!
Bounce Aloud: 30th May & 2nd June 2017, Brentwood School or Newham Leisure Centre, £9.60 GoFest South: Sunday 28th & Monday 29th May, Surrey Sports Park, Guildford, from £3.50 Pirates & Mermaids at Groombridge Place, Saturday 27th May - Sunday 4th June, from £6.25
Bank Holiday Bonanza
Half Term kicks off with a bang with the May Bank holiday, so savour the long weekend with these amazing events…
- Battersea Power Station’s Circus West Village will be hosting a bumper-filled bank holiday weekend with activities and pop ups for all the family, including face-painting, make your own mini botanical gardens and tasty food trucks.
- Thrill as you witness fearless acrobatics, sensational new equestrian acts and hilarity from Alex the Fireman at Zippo’s Circus in Wallington and Fulham
- Or why not get away from it all with a fun Packed stay at Mill Rythe Holiday Village? Just a stone’s throw from London but it will feel like a world-away as you relax and enjoy the pace of a countryside escape.
Battersea Power Station Bloomin Great Bank Holiday: Saturday 27th May - Monday 29th May, Mostly Free with some Paid events Zippos Circus: Friday 26th May - Tuesday 30th May, Beddington Park, Wallington/ Thursday 1st June - Tuesday 6th June, Lillie Road Recreation Ground, Fulham,£9.25 Mill Rythe Holiday Village: Friday 26th May - Monday 29th May & Monday 29th May - Friday 2nd June, Hayling Island, from £153
- Why not dance by the light of the moon with the Owl and the Pussycat at Leicester Square Theatre.
- Or meet The Man Who Knows it All for some laughs at the Unicorn Theatre.
- Plus don’t miss the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time before it leaves the West End on 3rd June!
Owl and the Pussycat: Wednesday 31st May - Thursday 1st June, Leicester Square Theatre, from £6.75 The Man Who Knows it All: Wednesday 31st May - Saturday 3rd June, Unicorn Theatre, from £9.60 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: Final performance 3rd June 2017, from £38
Maybe you’re looking for something extra special for the whole family? Then fantastic family festivals are where it’s at…
- See the Buzzcocks, Billy Bragg, Aswad and more, while the kids learn Dance, theatre, fitness, nature, musicianship, singing, puppetry, photography and circus skills arts at Wychwood Festival
- Or take in the live shows, activities, play areas, petting zoos of Kidz Big Bash and see Cbeebies Swashbuckle stars Cook & Line!
- Plus there’s the amazingly named Tabbalabba at Gulliver’s Land. Enjoy Springtime Festivities, The Big Bubble Show, The Sock Puppet Parade & The Gulliver’s Cake-Off.
Wychwood Festival: Friday 2nd - Sunday 4th June, Cheltenham Racecourse, from £14 Kidz Big Bash: Monday 29 May 2017, Garon Park, Essex, from £7.50 Tabbalabba at Gullivers: Saturday 27th May - Sunday 4th June, All locations, £15
As always, the Southbank has a plethora of amazing things to do and there’s something for everyone…
- Putting the super in Super Southbank is The Art of the Brick: DC Super Heroes Exhibition The world’s largest LEGO® exhibition inspired by DC Characters and meet (sort of) the world’s most popular and enduring super heroes and villains.
- Or hit the monster festival of affordable live entertainment that is the Underbelly Festival and laugh your head off at the Comedy Club 4 Kids, dance the day away with Monski Mouse or try to make your escape in Knightmare Live!
- Get creative and make your own zombie and alien films in the BFI’s Live Action Filming Day; have a go at some gory makeup techniques and generally have a wonderful time creating the best zombie monsters and extra-terrestrials ever seen on film!
Art of the Brick: Until 4th September 2017, Doon Street, from £10 Comedy Club 4 Kids: Until 15th July 2017, The Belly, from £13 Monski Mouse’s Baby Disco Dance Hall: Sunday 28th & Monday 29th May, Underbelly Festival, £5 Knightmare Live!: 21st May - 11th June 2017, The Belly, from £20
Make learning fun this May and June, and discover all the ways that science creeps into our daily lives…
- Get a hands-on experience at the Royal Institution and discover Animals: Inside and Out. Learn by looking at the body of an animal – what environment it lives in, how it can move about and even how it evolved to be here today!
- More Science Fiction than pure science but it might inspire an astronaut or two, Star Wars Identities: The Exhibition at The O2 runs throughout Half Term, so go discover the Star Wars hero hiding inside you!
- Or just head to Greenwich Park and explore the world of mini-beasts and pond dipping. You can even take your own Bug Catcher along and take home a friend!
Animals: inside and out: Wednesday 31 May, The Royal Institution, from £10 Star Wars Identities: Until 3rd September, The O2, from £10 Minibeast World: Tuesday 30th May 2017, Greenwich park, £5 Pond Dipping: Dragonflies and Damselflies: Tuesday 30th May 2017, Greenwich park, from £2 Bug Catcher: from £9.99
Fantastic Free Events
We are so lucky to have so much on offer in this awesome city. There are so many free events on all the time that you can head out and have a fantastic day out for free!
- Head to the Merge Festival and take in the amazing performances and events. Tell secrets on Candy Chang’s confession wall, catch a 15 minute play, see the slapstick sports day or see what it’s like to be a robot in a classroom – there’s so much to discover.
- Meet Old Norse characters and help the storyteller animate them at the interactive storytelling session at the Museum of London. Discover what happens in this Old Norse myth inspired by Viking battleaxes, like the ones in the collection and bring history to Life!
- Or catch the last day of Belgravia in Bloom the 6 day Floral festival celebrating Children’s Books. Featuring pop-ups, floral-inspired menus and afternoon teas, readings, installations and loads of themed events – this is a must-visit with the kids.
Merge Festival: Until Sunday4th June, Multiple Locations, FREE The Tale of Thor's Wedding: Saturday 27 May 2017 - Sunday 4 June 2017, Museum of Docklands, FREE Belgravia in Bloom: Until Saturday 27th May, Multiple Locations, FREE