Festive Fun for the Whole Family…
Here we’ve curated over 50 top ideas for fun things to do with your family this Christmas time in London. We’ve also included a few outside of the capital too in case you fancy an adventure out of the city…
Take to the ice at one of London’s many Christmas Ice Skating rinks…
- Skate against the magnificent backdrop of the Tower of London.
- Head to Cambridge’s North Pole on Parker’s Piece and enjoy the Traditional Christmas Market too.
- The Natural History Museum rink is another favourite.
- Go for an unforgettable skate at Hampton Court Palace.
Rather watch from the sidelines?
- Witness thrilling, high-speed action at Ally Pally with a Family Ticket to an Ice Hockey game.
- Get lost in Disney On Ice presents Passport to Adventure at The O2.
See London’s Christmas lights…
- Head to Oxford Street of an evening for its 58th Christmas display which contains over 1500 decorations.
- Visit Canary Wharf for innovative, artistic and interactive installations and sculptures. Best viewed after 5pm!
- Book a Christmas Lights Bus Tour and see London’s lights from a whole new perspective.
Venture to a Christmas market…
- Southbank’s Nordic chalets are back and filled with festive treats. Plus there’s plenty of other activities on for families as part of Southbank’s Wintertime festival.
- From gifts to mulled wine, there’s something for everyone at Christmas in Leicester Square.
- Enjoy family festive-themed craft along with a traditional Farmer’s Market at the Horniman Christmas Fair.
- Make the most of London Bridge’s Christmas by the River and a stunning view of the iconic Tower Bridge.
Go all-out Christmas with a Christmas festival…
- Check out the festive fun at Winterville on Clapham Common which is free to enter. See LittleBird’s savings on Winterville activities here.
- Venture to the iconic Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park.
- Book tickets to the Greenwich Wintertime Festival
- Enter a Nordic-inspired forest as Exchange Square, Broadgate is transformed into The Winter Forest.
Panto time – Oh yes it is!
- See an all-star cast perform Dick Whittington at the London Palladium
- Enjoy the classic adventure of Jack & The Beanstalk at the Lyric Hammersmith
- Spend Christmas in Neverland with PeterPan at Wembley Arena and the Barclaycard Arena in Birmingham
Get lost in a magical Christmas show…
- Enjoy the timeless The Snowman at the Peacock Theatre
- See the iconic Christmas classic – The Nutcracker ballet at Lilian Baylis Studio, Sadler’s Wells
- Join Father Christmas as he gets ready for his busiest day of the year at the Lyric Hammersmith with Raymond Briggs’ Father Christmas
- Be captivated by the The Very Hungry Caterpillar production at the Ambassadors Theatre
- See the adored Guess How Much I Love You come to life this Christmas at the Arts Theatre
Perhaps the cinema is more up your street?
- Watch Christmas classics at the innovative Backyard Cinema’s Snow Kingdom
- Giggle with The Muppets Christmas Carol at the BFI
- Visit the twinkling St Katherine’s Docks for Christmas screenings on their floating pontoon
Get out of town…
- Enjoy a Merry Elfmas with the kids at Groombridge Place in Tunbridge Wells, including treasure hunts, shows and magic!
- Visit The Hop Farm in Kent for festive fun and a chance to meet Father Christmas.
- Go for a Santa Sleepover in a Dino Den at Gulliver’s in Milton Keynes!
- Head to Cadbury World for a choc-filled Christmas day out
Visit a free Santa’s grotto…
- Pay a visit to Santa in his grotto, in Santa Land at Hyde Park’s Winter Wonderland.
- Tie in a free Santa’s grotto with a trip to Brent Cross Shopping Centre
- Winterfest at Crystal Palace have also got a free grotto that kids will love.
A grotto for a few more ££ (and that still have availability*)…
- Visit the London Transport Museum for a whole heap of drop-in festive activities and Santa’s Secret Hideaway
- Meet Santa at both the Museum of London and Museum of London Docklands
- Leicester Square also has a Santa’s Grotto where children can hear a Christmas Story
- Incentivise that Christmas shopping trip with the kids with the promise of a visit to Santa’s grotto at Westfield or Romford Shopping Hall.
Alternative ways to meet Santa…
- Join Santa on his special train and enjoy festive family fun at Epping Ongar Railway.
- Sail with Santa from Tower Pier and see some of London’s best landmarks whilst enjoying Christmassy fun!
- Have Tea with Santa at the Horniman Museum
- Head for a sleepover at the Natural History Museum with their Dino Snores.
- Visit the V&A for a host of Christmas fun, including their ‘Singing Tree’ installation in the Grand Entrance.
- Check out the Royal Institute’s Dr Karl’s Christmas Crackers event, where Dr Karl will answer some of the biggest burgeoning science questions about Christmas!
- Explore the night sky as the Winter solstice approaches at the Royal Museums of Greenwich, The Sky Tonight: Christmas Stars event.
- Discover the science of Christmas with Festive Physics at the Science Museum
- Colour-in your own stocking advent calendar or Christmas tablecloth with Eggnog
- Head to Canary Wharf for festive activities, from face-painting to bake-off!
- Whilst you can’t rely on British Winter for snow, you can rely on good old A4 white paper and a pair of scissors to make your own snowflakes. Find snowflake templates here.
- Make your own salt dough tree decorations.
- Jazz up baubles by creating marbled patterns using different coloured nail varnish in a tub of water.
- Check out BBC Good Food’s Christmas recipes to cook with the kids.
- Build a gingerbread house. You can always find DIY sets at IKEA, John Lewis and Asda.
- Make mulled apple juice.
- Christmas biscuits are always fun to decorate and make great gifts for teachers and neighbours.
Who doesn’t love carol singing?!
- Head to the Royal Albert Hall for their Christmas Carol Singalong
- Try Westminster Abbey for Christmas concerts and carol services. They’ve got a free Christmas Family Day and Carol Sing-a-long on Saturday 9th December from 10am – 2pm.
- Enjoy a Magical Candlelit Christmas Concert at St Peter’s Church in Eaton Square
Finally, marvel at some of London’s best Christmas tree spectacles…
- Go to Trafalgar Square to see the impressive iconic Norwegian Christmas tree. Don’t miss the lighting of the tree on 7th December at 6pm.
- Head to the Royal Exchange to see a 25ft tall tree decorated head-to-toe. (Lit on 22nd November)
- See a beautiful display of 40 mistletoe-clad chandeliers at Covent Garden plus a 22ft tall reindeer!
Tag us in your photos @littlebirddeals and hashtag #littlebird so that we can see what you get up to!
Plus, don’t forget to check out LittleBird for tons more ideas and sign up to one of our newsletters to get updates straight to your inbox.
*Information accurate as of 21/11/2017