Pirate Fun at the V&A Museum of Childhood
The V&A Museum of Childhood
Shiver me timbers! The Pirate’s Life for Me exhibition runs until 22 April 2019
Special activities for kids available until the Easter Holidays
Suitable for 0-8 years
In honour of the V&A Museum of Childhood’s amazing new exhibition focusing on fictional pirates and their influence in popular culture, this Winter visit the Museum for amazing (and piratey) family fun
Suited for the youngest visitors, the Pirate’s Life for Me exhibition will transport them into a swashbuckling world of adventure from a moody coastal inn to an island paradise in search of sparkling riches. At its heart, a large-scale pirate ship inspires learning through active play.
- Don't miss the first painting of Captain Pugwash, an original illustrated costume design for Captain Hook for the first production of Peter Pan in 1904
- Plus see Lego’s iconic Black Seas Barracuda ship and real eighteenth-century Spanish doubloons!
- Kids can see what amazing history influenced their favourite pirate characters.
- Don't forget to explore the V&A’s collections, including toys, games, books, illustrations and comics, spanning over 300 years.
- Plus this Term Term there's a host of activities for kids to commandeer!
Family workshop: Paper Sack Costume - 8 & 12 April 2019, 10.40, 12.30 & 14.40 - £7 per child, (ages 4+)
- Join artist Francesca Centioni-Dene to create a wearable pirate costume out of a paper sack.
Family workshop: Pirates Bandana Making - 9 – 11 April 2019, 10.40, 12.30 & 14.40 - £7 per child, (ages 4+)
- Design patterns and arrange colours to create your own pirate bandana.
Pop-up performance: The Great and Odorous Captain Putrid - 9 – 11 April 2019, 11.00, 13.00 & 15.00 - free, drop in (all ages)
- Come aboard on an adventure with the notorious Captain Putrid to help him get his stink back!
- A fun, interactive storytelling with opportunities to join in and sing along for families.
Drop-in activity: Midnight at Moonstone: Paper Doll Making and Show & Tell - Saturday 6 April 2019 11.00-13.00 & 14.00-16.00 - free, drop in (all ages)
- Meet illustrator Trisha Krauss and author Lara Flecker and have fun decorating your own paper doll.
- Take a look at two of the original costumes that inspired their book Midnight at Moonstone and hear about Lara’s job as a costume mounter at the V&A.
Half-day Pirate Camp - 16 – 18 April 2019, 10.00-12.30 (for ages 5-11) - £17.50 per child per day
- Train yourself to be a pirate in this half-day camp with the team from Chimp & Bee.
- Create your own pirate outfit, learn some pirate moves and songs, and perform the finale on the pirate’s ship in the museum.
Decorate the Pirate Ship - 19 – 22 April 2019, 11.00-13.00 & 14.00-16.00 - free, drop in (all ages)
- Design, create and add to a giant cardboard pirate ship on the Marble Floor of the Museum.
Storytelling for under 5s - Sunday– Friday 7-12, 14-19 & 21-22 April, 10.30 except for 9-11 April* - free, drop in (under 5s)
- Storytelling session specially designed for little ones, with lots of opportunities to join in and sing along.
- *Storytelling sessions will be replaced with special pop-up performances on 9 – 11 April.
Play at the Museum - Sunday– Friday 7-12, 14-19 & 21-22 April, 11.30-12.45 - free, drop in (all ages)
- Have a go at toys you can find on display at these themed sessions highlighting areas of the Collection.
Pirate Stories - Sunday 7, Friday 12, 14-19 & 21-22 Apri, Saturday, 6, 13 & 20 Aprill, 14.00 - free, drop in (all ages)
- Join us for this interactive storytelling sessions inspired by A Pirate’s Life for Me exhibition.
Arts & Crafts - Sunday– Friday 7-12, 14-19 & 21-22 April, Saturday, 6, 13 & 20 April, 14.40-16.00 - free, drop in (all ages)
- Get creative and make a piece of art inspired by the Museum’s collection to take home.
Little Hands Playtime for 6 – 18 months - Saturday, 6, 13 & 20 April, 10.30-11.30 - - free, drop in (6 – 18 months)
- Touch, explore and play. Sensory open-ended play session for little ones.
LittleBird Top Tip
Don't Forget! If you have a LittleBird Family Pass you can get 10% off in any of the V&A Museum of Childhood Cafés, find out more here
- The A Pirate’s Life for Me exhibition will run until 22 April 2019
- Activities run until the Easter Holidays
- Half-day Pirate Camp £17.50 per child per day
- Entrance to the A Pirate’s Life for Me Exhibition: FREE
- All activities are FREE, drop-in, for all ages unless otherwise stated.
- Open Play, FREE, booking essential – click here for more
- Open 10am - 5.45pm daily
- The A Pirate’s Life for Me exhibition will run from 20 October 2018 – 22 April 2019
- Some of the Workshops may incur a small charge please see "Dates and Prices" for more information