Half Term Fun at the V&A - Get the Family Inspired and Involved in Interactive Fun!
The V&A, South Kensington
Autumn Pop Up Performances will run from Sat 6 Oct - Sat 24 Nov 2018
Half Term Activities run from Mon 22 - Fri 26 Oct 2018
Suitable for 0-100 years
The V&A always has so much to offer families with art trails, hands-on galleries and backpacks that let kids go on adventures through history so this October Half Term is no exception. Designed to ensure families can get inspired and involved in their wonderful exhibitions while encouraging play and learning through the diverse V&A collection and temporary exhibitions.
Make sure you check out some of the fantastic fun they have planned for this Half Term inspired by the Frida Kahlo: Making Her Self Up exhibition and new Photography Centre!
Autumn Pop-up Performances - Every Saturday from 3rd Oct - 24 Nov, 11.00, 13.00 & 15.00 (FREE, Drop-in)
- To mark the opening of the Photography Centre enjoy an interactive performance by Sadler's Wells Youth Dance Company Alumni and Company of Elders.
- Celebrate Diwali through playful, light-hearted, theatrical tales and jump on a magical carpet and be enchanted by stories from the Middle East.
HALF TERM ACTIVITIES - Monday, 22 – Friday, 26 October 2018
Digital Kids - 10.30 – 17.00 (FREE, Drop-in)
- Get creative with technology at the museum!
- Be inspired by self-portraiture and create your own digital portrait in this drop-in workshop.
- Recommended for ages 5+
Make-it: Portraits - 10.30 -12:30 & 14:30 - 16:30 £8 per child, Booking is essential)
- Led by photographer Javier Hirschfeld,
- Work with your family to explore identity and create your own portraits.
- Bring your favourite family portrait or piece of clothing to inspire you in this workshop.
- Inspired by the wonderful Frida Kahlo: Making Her Self Up exhibition
The Imagination Station - 10.30 – 17.00 (FREE, Drop-in)
- Learn about the story of Frida Kahlo and explore your own identity through fashion and portraiture.
- Create symbolic and colourful flowers and add them to the Mexican garden setting in the gallery.
- Draw your own portrait or on your body lying down and display your work inside the V&A's own blue house.
- Designed in collaboration with costume and set designer Ryan Dawson Laight and inspired by the exhibition Frida Kahlo: Making Her Self Up.
Pop-up Performances - 11.00, 13.00 & 15.00 (FREE, Drop-in, Performances are approx 30mins)
- A stimulation for the senses that never losing its sense of fun!
- Join the Museum for a bi-lingual, fully inclusive signed performance for families that will take you on a playful and interactive journey through the life and work of Frida Kahlo.
- Chickenshed, Handprint Theatre Company and Sophie Sparham come together in a multi-dimension collaboration inspired by the lifetime and work of Frida Kahlo.
- Using the ingredients of Rhyme, Sign and Mime and everything in between!
- Autumn Pop Up Performances will run every Saturday from Sat 6 Oct - Sat 24 Nov 2018
- Half Term Activities run from Mon 22 - Fri 26 Oct 2018
- Please see the times listed in the Best Bits
- Autumn Pop-up Performances: FREE, Drop-in
- Digital Kids: £8 per child, Booking is essential
- Make-it: Portraits: FREE, Drop-in
- The Imagination Station: FREE, Drop-in
- Pop-up Performances: FREE, Drop-in
- Some of the Workshops will incur a small charge please see "Dates and Prices" for more information
- Exhibitions close 15 minutes prior to Museum closing.
- Children's meal deals and high chairs are available in the cafés.
- Packed lunches can be eaten in the Sackler Centre for arts education Lunchroom or in The John Madejski Garden.
- You are welcome to breastfeed throughout the Museum. Quiet spaces are available for those who prefer privacy
- Assistance dogs are welcome. Wheelchairs, walking frames, sound enhancement equipment for guided tours, large print maps and a full access guide to the Museum are available from the information desk in the Grand Entrance.
Museum opening hours
- Daily: 10.00 – 17.45
- Friday: 10.00 – 22.00