The car engine’s running, the clock is ticking, you’re running around looking for a lost wellington boot… You’ve been looking forward to your weekend break with the kids for yonks. But will it all go according to plan? We’ve asked our friends at Luxury Family Hotels for their tips for making sure your family break is one to remember for all the right reasons…
• Pack light. Spending hours and hours packing for several people will make you frazzled before you’ve even left the house, while returning home with a car full of dirty laundry is no one’s idea of fun. Make a list and then strike out as many things as possible, paring things down to the minimum.
• Make the above possible by choosing accommodation where many of the essentials are provided for you – the loan of baby kit from highchairs to changing mats, toys and books, adults’ and kids’ bikes, baby-listening devices, and even outdoorwear such as wellies and waterproofs will all help you to travel relatively unencumbered.
• Be realistic. You might think about self-catering to save money, but will you really get that break you need if you still have to think about shopping, cooking and cleaning up? If it’s only a weekend, sit back and let yourself be pampered.
• Make car-travel with kids pain-free. Coincide longer journeys with nap-times where possible, and make sure you have plenty of road-friendly things to do in the car – toys, plasticine, sticker books and apps are all good, but don’t forget the joy of traditional songs and games such as I-Spy to keep everyone upbeat.
• Research your destination. You many end up spending most of your time in your hotel, especially if it has a pool, a kids’ club and other fun things to do, but it’s worth knowing what local attractions are to hand, especially if they’re running special seasonal events such as Easter egg hunts.
• If your hotel has a spa, book treatments in advance to avoid disappointment, and make sure that organised childcare is available to coincide with it – or that your partner is willing to take care of the kids while you indulge!
Thanks to our friends over at Luxury Family Hotels!
Fancy a getaway holiday with the family? Pop over to LittleBird and take a look at the Ickworth Hotel set in 1,800 acres of beautiful National Trust parkland in Bury St Edmunds.